Darren Youens – Founder & Director
Darren has enjoyed a diverse and rewarding 25-year career in the property development industry, rising to the role of a Development Director after commencing as qualified Town Planner then progressing through positions including Senior Development Manager.
Darren’s roles within the government framework, as a consultant and as a client, lend him a unique perspective, and teamed with an affable and even temperament informs his ability to successfully coordinate, manage and lead internal teams and external stakeholders.
Darren is adept at working within and alongside business of all types and scales – from government to private and publicly listed companies, to deliver a wide range of services and outcomes.
Darren’s key areas of expertise are:
- Project Management
- Team Leadership
- Government Agency Negotiation
- Relationship Management – internal and external
- Presentation skills
- Project Planning
- Cost Control and Contract Management
- Residential Land Development Expertise
- Retail Development Expertise
- Master Planning
SUMMARY OF PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Development Management roles with Harrington Estates, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Lend Lease, Dartwest Developments and Cedar Woods Properties.
Project Management and Town Planning Consulting roles with Hames Sharley and Clifton Coney Group across Australia, New Zealand and Asia.
Town Planning roles at the Cities of Perth, Fremantle and Bayswater in WesternAustralia.
SELECTED CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
Calderwood Valley Master Planned Community estimated project value $500M
Senior Development Manager Role 2015
- Managing the day-to-day responsibilities of delivering the first lots at Lend Lease’s new development in the Illawarra region.
PricewaterhouseCoopers – Real Estate Advisory
Development Director Role 2012-2015
- Development Director for a Malaysian Property Developer on a 600 apartment project in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
- Various property strategy projects for NSW Crown Parks, Roads & Maritime Services, St Vincent De Paul, St Patricks and Stadiums Queensland
Harrington Grove Residential Development estimated project value $500M
Development Director Role 2005-2012
- Seven-year role as main ‘on the ground’ development professional managing the day-to-day responsibilities of delivering the first 1400 of 2300 lots at Harrington Grove in Sydney’s South West.
Harrington Grove Country Club, NSW project value $25M
Development Manager 2008-2009
- Managed the construction of the $25 million state-of-the-art Harrington Grove Country Club – a first-of-kind in the South West market;
- Ensured the simultaneous delivery – on time and on budget – of stage 1 of Harrington Grove’s residential sub-division (approx. 105 lots)
Oran Park, South West Sydney, NSW estimated project value $2B
Development Manager 2004
- Responsible for the management of the early stages of feasibility and preparation of supporting documentation to convince government of the values of development in this area.
- The government subsequently began the precinct planning and rezoning of the first half of the project.
Laverton Airfield Project, Vic estimated project value $1B
Development Manager 2004
- Managed the Laverton Airfield project through the design and re-zoning process while identifying and undertaking feasibilities on other development opportunities.
- The project involving the development of an 80,000sqm major retail focused town centre and 3,000 residential dwellings on a former military airfield site.
- This development is now underway with 2,300 homes and a 30,000 sqm shopping centre in Melbourne’s west.
Hames Sharley Architecture & Urban Design, WA & Vic 1995-2004
Darren started at the international practice Hames Sharley as a Senior Town Planner, progressing through to become Manager of Planning in Western Australia and then the Associate Director for Urban Design.
Darren became jointly responsible for the firm’s Victorian operations which included managing up to 16 Architects, Planners, Landscape Architects and Research staff, marketing, office administration, human resources, corporate reporting, project direction and development management.
In this role Darren also undertook development management roles for public and private sector clients as Project Manager, Urban Planner, Urban Designer and Master Planner on several large scale residential and retail developments.